Thursday, May 26, 2005

Upgrade

I am going to be upgrading my computer! I finally have enough money to do an upgrade that I have been thinking about for over a year. This upgrade should make my computer at least 5 times as fast as it is right now. Right now I have a 900 MHz AMD Duron processor in my computer. I will be getting a new motherboard and an AMD Athlon64 2800+ CPU. This chip only runs at 1.8 GHz (1800 MHz) but it is supposed to be equivalent to an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. It is also a 64 bit chip, while both the Duron that I currently have and almost all of the Intel chips are only 32 bit.
A 64 bit CPU (Central Processing Unit, or Processor) has twice as many registers as a 32 bit chip and an onboard memory controller, which together help to make it much faster than a 32 bit chip of the same clock speed. A 64 bit CPU will run an 32 bit operating system (such as the currant versions of Micropoft Windoze) and 32 bit applications better than a 32 bit chip but it will run a 64 bit operating system (such as several distributions of Linux, including SuSE Linux) much better than a 32 bit OS (Operating System) on the same system.
I will also be getting a 512 mb stick of RAM (Random Access Memory) to go with it. I currently have 384 mb of slower RAM in my computer.
I will be getting an Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 mouse too, as the mouse that I have now, although wireless, simply does not suit my needs. It is inaccurate, heavy, not overly comfortable, and likes to collect gunk on it's little plastic feet, causing it to stick to the desk and move in little jerks instead of smoothly. The Intellimouse (or Insmellymouse, if you don't like Microsoft) has a cord but is much more accurate, comfortable, and lightweight than the mouse that I am currently using.

Overall this will be a vast improvement over my current system, as I will have a much better computer. Not only that but I will sell my old motherboard, processor, and memory to my sister, who has about one of the crummiest computers that I have ever seen and would greatly benefit from a new one.

No comments: