Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Goats Goats and more Goats

Goats goats goats goats goats goats and more goats. Every year it seems that our goat heard doubles, triples, or quadruples. The first year we had 2 goats. The next year we had 5 goats. The year after that we had 9. Last year we had 19. Currently we have 25 and the potential for 38 or so. I don't know what will happen this fall when we have close to 40 goats to feed through the winter. If we don't get rid of some we will go bankrupt! I think that we may be able to comfortably feed 15 to 20 through the winter maximum. And 20 isn't anywhere near 40.

I think that Dad will have to start butchering come fall. We simply can't feed 40 goats through the winter, just like I can't feed 25 or 30 geese through the winter. I will try to sell as many geese as I can but most of the others will have to be chopped and put on the table for Christmas. I can feed around 10 geese through the winter and I simply can't change that fact. I like geese a lot and I like goats too, but the problem is that while they are very good at multiplication they haven't got the faintest idea what subtraction is.

No comments: